Saturday 1 November 2014

『나의 서울 패션 위크 경험 - 14년10월19일』My Seoul Fashion Week Experience - Oct 19th ‘14

image
Account (+ Photos) By Hanzel Han @ thehansiblings
After how great Harmony’s experience at SFW was, there was no way I could resist going; all the more so since she convinced some of our classmates to go too - despite them having an exam the following week - so today a whole group of fashionista headed out to the big event. While Harmony had her own solo show yesterday, one of our friends Hannah Gregory really stole the show today in her all-purple coordi, the photographers absolutely loved her.

image
Our friends: Sean, Megg, Hannah, I-rin & Kristy
Though not as much as yesterday, today was an eventful day too with lots of exciting things taking place. One that I personally found interesting was that there was a lot of meet and greet with a bunch of models. 

While they always showed their cool and chic sides on the runway, they really expressed their dorky and friendly sides when it came to meeting their fans and greeting the public. You could tell how much they love and enjoy their jobs; maybe I should reconsider a modeling career? (Actually on second thought, even the female models were way taller than me…) 

image
The models really didn’t hold back being silly and playful in front of the crowd.
Anyhow, all in all today was a repeat of yesterday so I won’t bore you with the details already in Harmony’s account, but I will leave you with my impression of the whole fiasco. Harmony wrote about how she was shocked that Korea had as diverse and thriving a street fashion culture as Japan, and just how extreme it could be, but for me personally, I was more inspired than anything by all the outfits and after-photos that I saw from the event. 

Though we refer to MODE-kei as a Japanese style, it’s actually just the name for an existing style (like Goth-kei) but it’s actually a lot more popular in Korea than it is in Japan. MODE-kei is known for being the ‘high fashion’ look amongst other street fashion or the Avant Garde of contemporary fashion, and it’s a style very suited to Korean tastes as it’s centered around having a very clean cut look. 

image
This guy’s outfit was one that I absolutely loved. Though its a very simple outfit, you can see he’s put care into picking the items used to put it together. For example, though he’s got a high cut blazer, he’s still made sure it ends lower than his belt on his trousers, likewise his trousers are the perfect length for his boots. And don’t even get me started on the contrast between his shirt and black suit… 
Koreans care a lot about keeping up appearances so it was no surprise that we’d see it but I honestly didn’t expect to feel so inadequate when I did. I’m not one for comparing myself to others, but I saw so many people wearing coordis similar to things I had previously imagine but never had the pieces to pull off. I have to admit I wanted to sell 99% of my clothes and start again (and I tell you I would have it it was that easy to sell used clothes.) 

Fortunately, though my confidence in my actual coords was knocked, my confidence in my sense of style wasn’t. Lots of the coordis I saw were similar to ideas I’d had in the past but just needed the clothes to actually do. I was also extremely inspired too, seeing others put together outfits in a way I’d never imagined, I was really humbled and wanted to go shopping right away to experiment. 

image
Need I say more? 
I think from now on, I’ll be saving up to buy slightly more expensive but also more versatile pieces rather than buying anything that catches my eye with a cheap price tag. I feel really motivated and inspired to progress in MODE-kei since it’s a style I really love, so look forward to my progress in the future.

I apologize my account was shorter than Harmony’s and also more focused on my impression rather than the event, but it honestly was an amazing day. I encourage anyone who gets the chance, to go to their local fashion week; even if you’re not a fan of the contemporary fashion in your area, you’ll be surprised how many other amazing alternative fashionista are lying in wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...