Wednesday 1 October 2014

Getting Your Hair Done In Korea For Foreigners :: Introducing Juno Hair!

Introducing “Juno Hair”, foreigners no.1* choice for hair in Korea!
image
Photo credit: source (A Juno Hair Myeongdong Branch) 

As a foreigner in Korea for your first time, especially when you’re planning to be there for a long time, one question you’ll eventually have to ask yourself is ‘Where am I gonna get my hair done!?’ 

Well fear not, today I’m going to introduce you to Juno Hair, a chain of hair salons all over Korea rated number one in hair care for foreigners. 
:: General Information ::
The first Juno Hair (준오헤어) salon was established in 1981 and has since then gone on to expand to over 80 stores all over South Korea. The name ‘Juno’ comes from the romanized name of Greek god Zeus’ wife Hera, who symbolizes marriage (popular in June, named from the same origin) and thus Juno hair’s philosophy is: 

"Seeking the utmost beauty with the confidence and pride of the goddess Juno." 
image
Picture credit: source (Juno Hair Official Website) 

This philosophy clearly carries through to the work of its salon artists, allowing Juno Hair to win various awards and become renowned for its high class service all over Asia, not just on Asian hair, but foreign hair too. 

Nowadays, you can usually find at least 2 Juno Hair salons in any major shopping district from Shinchon in Seoul to Busan and Ilsan. They offer service to both men and women and you also have the choice of a walk-in appointment or making a reservation, either way you’ll be subject to their award winning hospitality. 
:: The Service ::
image
Photo credit: source (A Juno Hair Ehwa branch) 

The service I received at Juno Hair was nothing short of excellent, actually I could even say they went beyond the call of a salon. From me initially walking through the door, I was greeted with the expected warm welcome at any establishment but that treatment didn’t waver for the entire I was there.

While they were doing my hair, they were extremely gentle and asked me to say if I was uncomfortable at any point, especially when straightening my hair (as they could tell I was very uncomfortable having someone else straighten my hair;) they also made conversation with me the entire 5-hours I was there, despite the language barrier, creating a very relaxed atmosphere. That said, they were still very meticulous about the job in hand. 

I went with two of my friends (who weren’t having anything done) and even though I was having a long 5-hour process done, they were completely fine with my friends staying with me in a comfortable waiting area the entire time. They also offered my friends and I free tea, coffee and snacks. The staff also constantly checked on my friends to make sure they were comfortable while I was having my hair done. 

image
Photo credit: source (A Juno Hair Gangnam branch)

However, I think the main thing that sets Juno Hair apart from other salons for foreigners, is that they offer anEnglish Interpreter at no extra cost! I had two hairdressers working on my hair, Dohyeon (도현) who spoke no English and Yunho (윤호) who spoke more than enough English for me to freely explain what I wanted and also inform me about what was happening to my hair at every stage of the process, which I really appreciated. 

If you’d like an English interpreter, then you simply have to ask when you make your initial appointment - it’s recommended you make an appointment if you want an English speaker as they may not be working the day you go for a walk-in appointment.
:: Pricing ::
One thing that did bother me was that I couldn’t see any sort of sign or leaflet that told me the prices of the procedures I was interested in, but after reading online I found that this is because the price varies based on your procedure and at times, the length of your hair too. It’s actually common practice in Korea not to have prices up in salons so don’t worry too much about being overcharged when visiting one.

Generally, the cheapest procedure is a cut, starting at around ₩20,000 (just under $20 USD) and the most expensive are things like a magic perm (straight perm) or digital perm (wavy perm) going up as high as ₩300,000 (<$300 USD) if your hair is on the longer side. That said, if you have expensive procedures or multiple procedures done, then you may get them offered at a discount as I was - read about the procedure I received in my next blog post! 

Most other procedures fall somewhere in that range but they tend to be on the cheaper side so it’s definitely affordable, and the results are great! 

image
That’s all for my introduction to Juno Hair, I honestly hope I’ve sold it to you and you do feel more at ease about getting your hair done in a Korean hair salon. If you have any questions, just leave a message and I’ll do my best to answer them for you. Also, if you’re interested in the procedure I got (a magic perm on an afro) then be sure to check out my next blog post when I’ll be explaining the full process including pictures.  
Good luck!  
Disclaimer: This review was not solicited or sponsored in anyway, I wrote this totally on my own accord to help other people who struggle with getting their hair done in South Korea. 

*This rating didn’t come from an official survey but from my research there is a general consensus that Juno Hair is the first choice for most foreigners. Also, on their website they’ve won numerous awards for being one of the best salons in Korea and Asia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...